Join our team as a volunteer firefighter!
Our volunteer firefighters respond to most front-line firefighting and emergency medical incidents. All volunteers are trained to the standards of Firefighter 1 – the national entry-level standard for professional departments – and assigned to one of our four fire stations.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete our Volunteer Firefighter Information form. After you submit your form, we will contact you with information about next steps in the volunteer process.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain a Washington State driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
Before being assigned to a station, we train firefighter recruits to the standards of Firefighter 1, the national entry-level for professional departments. This course includes both classroom and practical experience and culminates in a full day at the Washington State Fire Academy facility at North Bend.
After completing initial training, volunteers train with their station for two to three hours every Tuesday evening to maintain and refine their skills. The department covers all initial and ongoing training costs for volunteers.
Emergency Medical and Special Rescue Training
Volunteers must also become an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) within a year of being certified as a firefighter (training costs covered by the District). Volunteers who want to join our Marine Rescue and Rope Rescue teams may do so after completing Firefighter 1 and EMT certifications.
- Volunteers are eligible for a stipend reimbursement program for attending and responding to emergencies.
- Volunteers qualify for the Washington State pension plan (Volunteer Firefighter’ Relief and Pension Act).
- Volunteers qualify for a $50,000 life insurance program.
- Learn teamwork, responsibility and become a member of the family.
- Explore the possibilities of a career in firefighting or emergency medicine.
- Provide a skilled service to their community.
- Participate in the District’s social events.
Volunteer Firefighter Information
"*" indicates required fields